One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pronunciation /ˈstreɪtəm/Brown Navy Shoe Sebago Spinnaker Grey Leather Men's Boat qwZqzWvIP/ˈstrɑːtəm/Brown Navy Shoe Sebago Spinnaker Grey Leather Men's Boat qwZqzWvIP
1A layer or a series of layers of rock in the ground.‘a stratum of flint’
layer, vein, seam, lode, bedView synonyms
- ‘All the wells penetrate Mesozoic strata, and 40 wells penetrate Palaeozoic strata.’
- ‘The syn-rift succession overlies Eocene to Oligocene pre-rift strata with an angular unconformity.’
- ‘Additional control on the subsurface continuity of the strata is provided by seismic data.’
- AR 1 670 Coyote Toe C300ST Steel 8" Boot Coyote Weather Belleville Hot ‘Overlying the Jurassic succession, a thin sequence of basal Cretaceous strata including the Greensand is characterized by radial outward dips.’
- ‘Carboniferous and Permian strata often contain useful index fossils belonging to this group.’
- ‘Inliers of Avalonian strata crop out in the west of the English Midlands in Shropshire.’
- 1.1 A thin layer within any structure.
‘thin strata of air’
- ‘However, the three strata should be considered as three separate trials of similar design.’
- ‘His goal in translating was ‘to get back to the first stratum of the language’.’
- ‘If a school refused to participate, they selected a replacement school within the same stratum.’
- ‘Within each stratum, calves were randomly assigned to one of two finishing systems.’
2A level or class to which people are assigned according to their social status, education, or income.‘members of other social strata’
level, class, echelon, rank, grade, station, gradationView synonyms
- ‘The approaches of different countries, social strata and classes differ as well.’
- ‘Women generally have a high status in the working class, but not in other social strata.’
- ‘Women, of all ages, education, and social strata love the gossip magazines!’
- ‘Roma were again the least educated social stratum.’
- ‘Critics, all from the upper-middle classes, associated street clamor with the lower social strata.’
- 2.1Statistics A group into which members of a population are divided in stratified sampling.
‘allocation of sample units to strata’
- ‘Mothers were then randomised to the intervention or control group within two strata.’
- ‘In the current study, the test for heterogeneity was performed within each data stratum.’
- C300ST Belleville Weather AR Steel 8" Hot Boot 1 Toe Coyote 670 Coyote ‘The overall household rate was increased by sampling disproportionately from the strata with larger proportions of households.’
In Latin the word stratum is singular and its plural form is strata. In English this distinction is maintained—it is incorrect to use strata as a singular or to create the form stratas as the plural: a series of overlying strata not a series of overlying stratas, and a new stratum was uncovered not a new strata was uncovered
Late 16th century (in the sense ‘layer or coat of a substance’): modern Latin, from Latin, literally ‘something spread or laid down’, neuter past participle of sternere ‘strew’.
stratum/ˈstreɪtəm/ Brown Navy Shoe Sebago Spinnaker Grey Leather Men's Boat qwZqzWvIP /ˈstrɑːtəm/ Brown Navy Shoe Sebago Spinnaker Grey Leather Men's Boat qwZqzWvIP
Some advice to nail your writing assignments.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.